GERMANTOWN, Md., Oct.19, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Intrexon Corporation (NYSE: XON), a leader in the engineering and industrialization of biology to improve the quality of life and health of the planet, today announced that Randal J. Kirk, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, will participate in a CEO panel titled "Consolidation, Innovation, and the Road to Feeding 9 Billion by 2050" at the Borlaug Dialogue on October 19th at 3:15 pm CT.
Intrexon is committed to utilizing engineered biology to address current and future challenges in feeding a growing population in a sustainable manner. Intrexon's Food Sector focuses on improving the quality of food and feed while enhancing our valuable ecosystems through innovative approaches such as:
- Non-browning Arctic Advantage™ solutions to help reduce the estimated 45% of fruits and vegetables wasted annually according to the Food and Agriculture Organization, without the use of chemicals or preservatives;
- AquAdvantage® Salmon to help address the need for healthy protein with no impact to marine environments and responsible production of more fish in less time and with less feed compared to current salmon farming techniques;
- Innovative biological crop protection solutions utilizing self-limiting insect technology and ActoBiotics™ expression platforms that improve the quality and efficiency of food production through precise pest reduction with limited off-target effects and low environmental impact;
- Providing industry-leading reproductive technologies and driving genetic gain for cattle and other livestock breeders for sustainable protein production; and
- Cost-effective, commercial scale production of high-quality protein with a black soldier fly platform that supports the expanding animal feed market and reduces reliance on ocean-based fish meal in aquaculture.
The panel discussion will examine the technologies and policies needed to sustainably feed the world in 2050. A live webcast of the panel will be available at: http://www.worldfoodprize.org/live.
About The World Food Prize
The World Food Prize was founded in 1986 by Dr. Norman E. Borlaug, recipient of the 1970 Nobel Peace Prize. Since then, the World Food Prize has honored 45 outstanding individuals who have made vital contributions throughout the world. The World Food Prize annually hosts the Borlaug Dialogue international symposium and a variety of youth education programs to help further the discussion on cutting-edge global food security issues and inspire the next generation to end hunger.
The Norman E. Borlaug International Symposium, known informally as the "Borlaug Dialogue," brings together over 1,200 people from more than 65 countries to address cutting-edge issues related to global food security and nutrition. The three-day conference convenes a wide array of scientific experts, policy leaders, business executives and farmers and has been called "the premier conference in the world on global agriculture." Through the Borlaug Dialogue, the World Food Prize Foundation helps build alliances in the struggle against world hunger and malnutrition.
About Intrexon Corporation
Intrexon Corporation (NYSE: XON) is Powering the Bioindustrial Revolution with Better DNA™ to create biologically-based products that improve the quality of life and the health of the planet. The Company's integrated technology suite provides its partners across diverse markets with industrial-scale design and development of complex biological systems delivering unprecedented control, quality, function, and performance of living cells. We call our synthetic biology approach Better DNA®, and we invite you to discover more at www.dna.com or follow us on Twitter at @Intrexon, on Facebook, and LinkedIn.
Intrexon, Powering the Bioindustrial Revolution with Better DNA, and Better DNA are trademarks of Intrexon and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Safe Harbor Statement
Some of the statements made in this press release are forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are based upon our current expectations and projections about future events and generally relate to our plans, objectives and expectations for the development of our business. Although management believes that the plans and objectives reflected in or suggested by these forward-looking statements are reasonable, all forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties and actual future results may be materially different from the plans, objectives and expectations expressed in this press release.
For more information contact:
Vice President, Investor Relations
Tel: +1 (561) 410-7052
Marie Rossi, Ph.D.
Director, Technical Communications
Tel: +1 (301) 556-9850
SOURCE Intrexon Corporation